Friday, April 10, 2009

and in a flurry of excitement...

so...wow.
helloooooooo Bangkok.

and you think NY never sleeps? get over it. haha.

so this needs to be quick because the timer is ticking, I only brought down enough Baht for 30 minutes, it's 2 am and I have plans at 9 this morning...and I need to sleep in this city eventually.

we arrived and quickly met up with Marissa's friend Katherine who is staying at the same hostel as us (it was planned...but it would be a cool coincidence). we all cleaned up and headed out for some Thai food. We literally just walked the streets trying everything we could find from street vendors until we thought we would pop...then we waited a bit and had snacks the same way. the food is AMAZING. there are the occasional "oh god...what the hell IS this?!" foods, but usually everything is pretty darn yummy.
We called it a bit of an early night (around 2 am?) and I decided to internet it up instead of sleeping. I then took a bit of a walk and got maybe 3 hours of sleep before we woke up at 9 and headed out for the day.
We repeated the food tour again...just this time breakfast style. again, amazing food. Very full and very satisfied customers. oh, and the food is so CHEAP! god, this place is amazing.
We wandered over to the Emerald Buddha Wat (temple) and explored in the humid heat for a few hours. eventually I couldn't take wearing a long skirt and shirt any longer (need to cover up to go inside the palace) so I ventured out into the streets to explore the markets a bit. I staked out some good food spots and went and met the girls at the temple a bit later. needless to say we needed to get food. it was...amazing. obviously.
we wandered around the city a bit and eventually ended up at a Wat that offered free meditation lessons. we agreed to return at 6 and headed back to the hostel to rest up for an hour or so and get out of the boiling heat and humidity and under a fan.
we eventually headed back and learned all about meditation, cleansing the mind and even got to practice meditating a bit. it was really great! the Monk gave us each some homemade Tiger Balm type stuff for aches and pains later on and invited us to a big monk party tomorrow...er, technically today now. hence the 9am thing.
we wandered back to the area around our hostel, got food...I'm sure you understand the trend by now, did some shopping, I got my Thailand star tattoo (figured I'd just let them both heal at the same time, right?) we grabbed a few beers and then headed back to the hostel to chat a bit. and...here I am.

I've had so much good food here...I just figured that since I got the update done so fast I can list some.
-all kinds of cut fresh fruit
-fresh grilled meat on sticks
-pad Thai
-Thai curries
-banana pancakes
-fresh pastries
-funny mini pancake thingys...SO good!
-some strange fried corn rolls that were really good
and a million other odd things that I can't explain.

I DO have a Thai cell phone number. I think the country code is 660??? but you might have to look it up or I can update later. my number is 084-529-6526. texting and calling is a bit spendy, but receiving a text or a call every now and then should be fine.

I'm totally digging it here and absolutely psyched to be heading north on Monday...which also happened to be the Thai new year! it should be a ton of fun and celebration on the way up.
okay...times up and I need to hit the bed. we don't have sheets here, or hot water or anything fun like that. but to be honest I'd pay to have a cold shower here any day. I have the 'Thailand Glow' which is just really being gross and sticky all the time. I've never ever been anywhere near as humid as it is here, and the heat is just as bad. it's a bit rough, but it's the price you pay, right?

okay...time's up.
ciao!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment